Flexibility, and the ability to go with the flow is one predictor of success in any field. Think about it.
You may prefer to work alone, but if you are flexible enough, you will manage to do well in a team
environment. The same thing is also true in reverse. If you’re really a team player by nature, but
happen to be easygoing, you will succeed in a “do-it-yourself-er” culture where people are expected
to self-manage. However, telling an interviewer that you are “flexible enough to deal with any
corporate culture” sounds wishy-washy and false, unless defended with some hard evidence. A better
idea is to research the firm in advance, find out what they’re looking for, and position yourself
accordingly.
23. Do you prefer working alone or in teams?
A. Well, I am an independent type, and so I like to brainstorm first on the directives, and then go off
for a little while to mull over how to fulfill them. I’ve always been very interested in executive
headhunting, and feel that, under your guidance, I will make a big contribution to your company. From what I understand about the position, you and Paul Wiley will call a weekly meeting to discuss the new job leads and candidate requirements. Then, I will sit down, meticulously comb through our
candidate pool, and arrange to meet several job seekers who fit the “specs.” After that, of course, I’ll
do my utmost to place them! I also anticipate that this job will entail some cold calling, to expand our
pool of candidates and identify more leads. I happen to know a lot of people on both sides of the
management table—job hunters as well as employers—and I look forward to sharing my leads with
both you and Paul.
Alt. A. I am a really good team player, and appreciate having the resources of a fantastic team all
working towards the same outcome. I feel comfortable in groups, and enjoy team activities, such as
brainstorming, name generation, coming up with strategic platforms together, and identifying new
trends in the marketplace. In my last job, I worked for a famous branding identity company, and some of our meetings would last for days and days.
I would just roll up my shirtsleeves with the rest of the team, and we would sit, closeted in a
conference room, with a gigantic pad of paper, magic markers, various toys, and tons of newspapers
and magazines, discussing corporate identity issues until everyone felt comfortable that we had
arrived at the right solution. I know that your company is also structured around a true team concept,
and would love to hear more about it.
24. What motivates you to put forth your greatest effort?
A. When people really count on me to pull through for them, I am at my peak in terms of my
performance. As an assistant planner, I have four bosses, and I get along famously with all of them.
Still, one week over the Christmas holidays, all four of them took their vacations at the same time.
During that week, I ran focus groups by myself, came up with strategies for several of our clients
without any supervision, and had an insight about the retiree market that became the backbone of our
new fall marketing plan. I love being a team player, but that week on my own proved to me that when
push comes to shove, I am capable of pulling projects through with my own resources.
Share your insights about the retiree market. Ask your interviewer which markets his
company is targeting, and impress him by spontaneously coming up with an idea for one
of them on the spot.
25. Who was your greatest role model?
A. In my very first job, I was a salesgirl at Bloomingdale’s. They rotated the sales staff, and I was
moved from the Men’s Department to the Bridal Registry. The manager of the Bridal Registry,
Patricia Hillson, was a true inspiration. She really believed in my potential, and could sense that I
was keen to learn how she went about choosing china patterns and flatware. After the store officially
closed at night, she would spend hours with me explaining why she had chosen a particular line.
Approximately a year later, Patricia went on maternity leave for a couple of months and
temporarily promoted me to run the department in her absence. By the time she returned to work, three of the china patterns that I had chosen for the store had become bestsellers. I was then officially
promoted to Junior Buyer, but in Children’s Wear. I owe my quick rise into management completely
to Patricia, and she has remained a good friend and mentor ever since.
Why This Technique Works
1. You have given credit where credit was due, showing that you’re gracious and the type of person
who fosters good working relationships that last.
2. Your mentor will give you a glowing recommendation that will help you win the job.
You may prefer to work alone, but if you are flexible enough, you will manage to do well in a team
environment. The same thing is also true in reverse. If you’re really a team player by nature, but
happen to be easygoing, you will succeed in a “do-it-yourself-er” culture where people are expected
to self-manage. However, telling an interviewer that you are “flexible enough to deal with any
corporate culture” sounds wishy-washy and false, unless defended with some hard evidence. A better
idea is to research the firm in advance, find out what they’re looking for, and position yourself
accordingly.
23. Do you prefer working alone or in teams?
A. Well, I am an independent type, and so I like to brainstorm first on the directives, and then go off
for a little while to mull over how to fulfill them. I’ve always been very interested in executive
headhunting, and feel that, under your guidance, I will make a big contribution to your company. From what I understand about the position, you and Paul Wiley will call a weekly meeting to discuss the new job leads and candidate requirements. Then, I will sit down, meticulously comb through our
candidate pool, and arrange to meet several job seekers who fit the “specs.” After that, of course, I’ll
do my utmost to place them! I also anticipate that this job will entail some cold calling, to expand our
pool of candidates and identify more leads. I happen to know a lot of people on both sides of the
management table—job hunters as well as employers—and I look forward to sharing my leads with
both you and Paul.
Alt. A. I am a really good team player, and appreciate having the resources of a fantastic team all
working towards the same outcome. I feel comfortable in groups, and enjoy team activities, such as
brainstorming, name generation, coming up with strategic platforms together, and identifying new
trends in the marketplace. In my last job, I worked for a famous branding identity company, and some of our meetings would last for days and days.
I would just roll up my shirtsleeves with the rest of the team, and we would sit, closeted in a
conference room, with a gigantic pad of paper, magic markers, various toys, and tons of newspapers
and magazines, discussing corporate identity issues until everyone felt comfortable that we had
arrived at the right solution. I know that your company is also structured around a true team concept,
and would love to hear more about it.
24. What motivates you to put forth your greatest effort?
A. When people really count on me to pull through for them, I am at my peak in terms of my
performance. As an assistant planner, I have four bosses, and I get along famously with all of them.
Still, one week over the Christmas holidays, all four of them took their vacations at the same time.
During that week, I ran focus groups by myself, came up with strategies for several of our clients
without any supervision, and had an insight about the retiree market that became the backbone of our
new fall marketing plan. I love being a team player, but that week on my own proved to me that when
push comes to shove, I am capable of pulling projects through with my own resources.
Share your insights about the retiree market. Ask your interviewer which markets his
company is targeting, and impress him by spontaneously coming up with an idea for one
of them on the spot.
25. Who was your greatest role model?
A. In my very first job, I was a salesgirl at Bloomingdale’s. They rotated the sales staff, and I was
moved from the Men’s Department to the Bridal Registry. The manager of the Bridal Registry,
Patricia Hillson, was a true inspiration. She really believed in my potential, and could sense that I
was keen to learn how she went about choosing china patterns and flatware. After the store officially
closed at night, she would spend hours with me explaining why she had chosen a particular line.
Approximately a year later, Patricia went on maternity leave for a couple of months and
temporarily promoted me to run the department in her absence. By the time she returned to work, three of the china patterns that I had chosen for the store had become bestsellers. I was then officially
promoted to Junior Buyer, but in Children’s Wear. I owe my quick rise into management completely
to Patricia, and she has remained a good friend and mentor ever since.
Why This Technique Works
1. You have given credit where credit was due, showing that you’re gracious and the type of person
who fosters good working relationships that last.
2. Your mentor will give you a glowing recommendation that will help you win the job.
No comments:
Post a Comment